Crux Crush was founded in 2013 by three women who are psyched on climbing and has grown to include an entire community of climbers and regular contributors. We hope our site connects more people to climbing and all that we love about the sport, from the physical to emotional to cultural and everything in between. This is our space to share our crush on climbing with you. To find out more read on, click through contributor photos to their posts, and connect with us on social media.
Founding Members & Editors
• MARY • A friend introduced me to climbing in 2011 and I was quickly addicted to tying in, chalky hands, and the success (and bitter defeat) that comes with climbing. I was a competitive gymnast growing up, but as an adult I never found a sport that stuck. Enter climbing. It snuck up on me and filled a need I didn’t know was there. Aside from the physical effects of visible abs and party-trick pull ups, I love climbing for constantly testing my limits and bringing me to beautiful places.
• CATE • I am that girl who got into climbing because of her boyfriend. It wasn’t until I started climbing with women that I truly fell in love with the sport. The women who inspired me to take climbing more seriously changed my perspective on my own potential as a climber and what it meant to truly try hard. More than that they became my community. My hope is that Crux Crush continues to be a vehicle for connecting and inspiring the climbing community.
• MISSY • No one thought I would take to climbing. I’m a total city girl. I’ve never played sports, and before climbing I never really stuck with any exercise consistently. Now I’ve been climbing over 5 years and it’s still a regular part of my life. While climbing has taken a variety of forms in my life, it’s fair to say at this point I’m the gym rat of the group! For me, climbing has always been about getting a challenging full body workout, an amazing mental workout, and above all having fun!
• EMILY • Climbing is my work-life balance, and I couldn’t live without the breath of fresh air that trips to the crag bring. My overly practical, slightly obsessive type-A personality shows in my approach to climbing. I’m known for trying to convince just about anyone to give climbing a shot! Crux Crush has given me the opportunity to think critically and be a student of the crag – to learn more about gear, training, and all that the climbing community has to offer.
• HILARY • I’ve been climbing since I was 14 when I saw a fake wall set up in a mall. Initially I only climbed indoors but when I moved to New Hampshire for college I came to meet some amazing people who started taking me outside. I am always looking for ways to improve my climbing both mentally and physically. My goal is not to be a strong female climber but instead to be a strong climber who happens to be female!
• JOCELYN • I started climbing in 2013, and from the get go I dove head first in to all things climbing. My background is in gymnastics and competitive dance, and I’m a yoga nerd to date. It’s the marriage of physical movement and mindfulness that inspires and motivates me. The ladies of CXC were my first climbing crushes—they climb hard, celebrate female empowerment and have a good ole’ time along the way.
• CARO • While some climbers write history, I am a historian who writes about climbing. After my first climbing trip five years ago, I got hooked and decided to explore the history of the international climbing community in my PhD dissertation. Now you can find me messing on rock, snow, and ice in New England and the Alps, in the Caucasus and Canada, or wherever else I need to do “research.”
• JESS • The first time I climbed I was so scared of heights I had to be pulled off the bouldering wall! Nevertheless, I fell in love with the physical demands and supportive community. CXC and my enthusiastic husband motivate me to see climbing as an opportunity to push the limits of my physical and mental strength. Currently, I’m a physiology postdoc in Baltimore using my vacation to travel the world and climb!
• DREW • I’m a senior environmental studies major in Minnesota (where, unbelievably, there is some climbing!). I started climbing in 2013 and was utterly enamored with the way it forced me to move and think. I’m psyched to contribute to CXC, since I think climbing is a fantastic sport and passion for women. I’m primarily a sport climber, but I also dabble in bouldering, trad, mountaineering and ice climbing.
• SARAH • I started rock climbing on the first day of college and was hooked instantly. Now, I’m midway through medical school and have worked hard to balance studying with climbing. I love both sport climbing and bouldering and enjoy climbing outdoors as well as competing indoors. I’ve always admired how CXC has kept the female climbing community psyched and now I’m honored to be a part of it. Happy reading!
• ELAINE • I am a Michigander at heart but have been living in the Southeast for 6 years. I was turned on to climbing in college and haven’t looked back since. You can find me frolicking in the woods amid the Southern sandstone, writing stories for CXC, RootsRated, and other outlets, or painting prints of my favorite outdoor destinations. Follow my adventures at @elainelliott & @creativecrag.
• CATHERINE • I first tried climbing at a rock gym in Virginia Beach, and I can’t get enough! I love bouldering, sport, and everything that goes along with it. Climbing has taught me so much more about myself and my capabilities than I ever dreamed it would, and I’m super excited about the opportunity to be involved with the awesome CXC community! Follow my southern climbing adventures on Instagram @catownes.
• MEG • I am a world traveler, trained graphic designer, painter, rock climber, and passionate, community-oriented person. My life goal is to magically combine all of those things! Thanks to CXC, I get to write about my effort to do so, share adventures, and work with a rad group of women. You can find me climbing and wandering around the North West, playing in my studio, or on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @ConnectWithMeg.
How to Support Crux Crush
1. Write a guest post! We’re always accepting stories and ideas from friends and climbers. Just shoot us an email at cruxcrush(at)gmail(dot)com with some info on you and your post idea(s).
2. Check out our SHOP and sport some Crux Crush gear at your local gym and crag.
3. Purchase or barter for ad space on our site. Please email us for details.
4. Let us review your goods. Contact us if you have outdoor or climbing gear that you’re interested in having us review. We are psyched to build partnerships with other groups and companies who love all things climbing!
Reych, Zofia (2013). Climbing Women and Niche Media: Beyond alternative femininities. MA Thesis at The University of London.
Thank you for your support!!
– Team CXC