“I believe climbing is in our genetic code. We somehow want to go higher to see the world from above.” -Adam Ondra
(The Bubka and Bolt of the new Olympic sport)
The six-footer, 29-year-old climbing sensation, Adam Ondra is a professional rock climber, who was born on February 5, 1993, to parents Eva Ondrova and Miroslav Ondra.
From growing up in Brno, Czech Republic, to winning the World Championships, Ondra has come a long way.
Adam Ondra’s parents are both climbers who would travel, camp, and climb all around Europe along with Adam and his sister Kristyna Ondra.
Seeing his parents climbing, gained the interest of the young Adam and this is from where he gained the motivation of becoming a climber. Ondra is specialized in lead climbing and bouldering.
With more than 25 years of experience, he is crushing records and accomplishing feats that no other climber has yet accomplished.
Mountain climbing consists of a climb that is more than 30 feet (or 360 inches) in height. In addition to heights, mountain climbing also requires equipment or gears such as climbing ropes, harnesses, carabiners, belay devices, etcetera to make sure you don’t fall and hit the ground. A fall while climbing a mountain can be fatal.
The levels of mountain climbing are classified based on the hardness of the climb, usage of rope, steepness, handholds, footholds, the angle of the climb, and various other factors. The levels of mountain climbing are measured on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the toughest climb.
It would be a disrespect to ‘THE ADAM ONDRA’ not to talk about his achievements. Ondra started climbing when he was about 6 years old and his talent became transparent very soon.
- In 2001, at an early age of only 8 years, he onsighted his first 7b+ (5.12c) routes.
- In 2002, at the age of 9, he onsighted 7c+ (5.13a) and redpointed 8a (5.13b) routes.
- In 2003, at the age of ten, he onsighted the 8a (5.13b) route.
- In 2004, at the age of eleven, he onsighted 8a+ (5.13c) and redpointed 8c (5.14b) routes.
- In 2005, at the age of twelve, he onsighted the 8b (5.13d) route.
- In 2006, at the age of thirteen, he managed to redpoint his first 9a (5.14d) route, Martin Krpan at Misja Pec.
With Silence (Norway)- 9c (5.16d) route, Change (Norway)- 9b+(5.15c) route, Super Crackinette (France)- 9a+(5.15a) route, and Dawn Wall (California)- 9a (5.14d) route being his greatest climbs till date.
Adam Ondra in addition to being a good rock climber is a fantastic boulder climber as well. Bouldering is also rock climbing which has a maximum height of 15 feet (or 180 inches).
Therefore, no equipment or gears are required to scale boulders. People climb them without the help of any ropes. Instead, there is a soft mat placed below to cushion the landing in case a climber falls off.
Ondra has quite a lot of achievements in bouldering too:
• Nunavut (V15), Sloup Cave, Czechia (2019)
• Pučmeloun (V15), Sloup Cave, Czechia (2019)
• Ledoborec (V16) Holštejn, Czechia (2020)
• Brutal Rider (V16) Sloup Cave, Czechia (2020)
Adam Ondra won his first World Championships medal in 2009 in lead climbing. He also became the first person to climb 9b+ and 9c routes.
The World Championships would hold further success for Ondra, where he went on to win medals aplenty in every color.
He has won four World Championships titles – two in 2014, one in 2016, and more recently another in 2019.
His double gold in 2014 made him the only male athlete to have won the World Cup series in both disciplines which are, which lead to climbing in 2009 followed by 2015, and 2019 and bouldering in 2010 by the age of 17.
Furthermore, these are the awards Adam Ondra has received to date:
- · Salewa Rock Award in 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2013.
- · Gold Medal in Lead Climbing World Championships as a Youth in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- · Gold Medal in Lead Climbing World Championships as an Adult in 2014, 2016, and 2019.
- · Silver Medal in Lead Climbing World Championships as an Adult in 2009 and 2018.
- · Gold Medal in Bouldering World Championships as an Adult in 2014.
- Silver Medal in Bouldering World Championships as an Adult in 2011 and 2016.
- Silver Medal in Combined World Championships as an Adult in 2018.
- Gold Medal in Lead Climbing European Championships in 2019.
- Silver Medal in Lead Climbing European Championships in 2010, 2015, and 2017.
- Silver Medal in Bouldering European Championships in 2010 and 2015.
- Gold Medal in Duel Rock Master in 2011, 2015, and 2016.
- Gold Medal in KO Boulder Rock Master in 2016.
- Silver Medal in Bouldering World Cup in 2019.
- Gold Medal in Lead World Cup in 2009, 2015, and 2019.
- Gold Medal in Bouldering World Cup in 2010.
- Silver Medal in Combined World Cup in 2014 and 2019.
- Gold Medal in Combined World Cup in 2009, 2010, and 2015.
In 2013, Rock & Ice described Ondra as “A sensation and the leading prodigy of his generation”.
Adam Ondra is a climbing legend who is still active today.
Because he is The Adam Ondra, a lot of wonderful businesses sponsor him, including those that produce climbing equipment, apparel, and resorts.
Several major companies support Ondra in an effort to advertise their goods by partnering with Adam.
Companies like Montura, La Sportiva, Trentino, Black Diamond, Mazagrande, Garda, and Volkswagen support him financially.
His “The Hangar” gym is located in Brno, where he comes from. Ondra receives sponsorship from Black Diamond for all of his climbing gear.
Adam Ondra is a world-renowned climber with many amazing accomplishments. He has won numerous world championships and set multiple world records. He has also been sponsored by various companies and is a brand ambassador for several brands. He is the first person to climb a route with a difficulty grade of 9c. He is truly an inspiration for many people out there.